Radio Controlled Planes: June 2008 Archives

WRCC President's Day Fun Fly

|
| Comments (0)
Well Sunday was the annual WRCC President's Day Fun Fly. The weather could have been much worse - it didn't rain the whole day. However, with a stiff North wind 20-30km/h and the sun buried behind clouds, the temperature was a chilly 15-18C. Due to the wind, I stayed on the ground (until later in the evening when I took the Citabria out for a spin in my front yard).

radicalrc_microlowstick.JPGThere was quite a range of planes, from a really small 4oz  Radical RC Micro Low Stick that had no problem screaming through the wind all the way up to a couple of turbine powered jets and a couple of larger 4 stroke monsters.

I was impressed with the number of electric planes that made a showing, including some very impressive ducted fan models that sounded awesome!




planes.jpg
 This was one of the 2 jets. 2 litres of jet fuel in under 5 minutes! But wow did it move!!!

jet_turbine.jpg

The day concluded with a pig roast, which was a neat experience (although to be honest, some sauces like gravy or something would have made it better).

pig_roast.jpg

Thanks Len and maybe we'll be there again next year!



Exceeding Vne with the Lady

|
| Comments (0)
After a beautiful day on Sunday at the park, I finally got some time to fly the Lady - just as a thunderstorm cell was moving in. The first battery (1500mAh) ran me 23+ minutes and was great. Flying over a field, the breeze was steady and gentle. With not enough gusto to go up around again I brought her in and swapped batteries. The second battery is a smaller 1300mAh. Smaller also means lighter. The result was faster climbing (although I also realize I would have reduced flying time). About 10 minutes in, I throttled up once again for another burst of altitude. At this point the wind started picking up and I noticed I was quickly gaining altitude. I cut the throttle and continued to climb! Now the wind was really picking up and the storm cell was moving in much quicker - not good! I was caught in a 'brick-lifter'. I put a lot of down elevator into the glider and worked hard on bringing it in as quickly as possible - turns out possibly too quickly.
June_8_08_EngineDamage1.JPG
The diving must have spun the prop really hard, as one of the blades (already broken) tore off and the subsequent vibration cracked my homemade engine mount.

June_8_08_EngineDamage2.JPG
Fortunately no further damage was caused - it could have been bad with the engine shaking like crazy. In fact, I didn't realize the prop was broken until I walked up to the landed plane. I had actually given a bit of throttle on the final approach to penetrate the turbulence close to the ground.

Whew!