StarLITE Backyard Flier

Status: Non-operational (June 14, 2009)


Purchased: February, 2008, partially assembled
First flight: May 9, 2009
Type: 3 Channel, electric, parkflyer / indoor
Span: 36"
Area: 261 sq"
Weight: 4 - 5 oz. (Final weight 5oz)
Wing Loading: 2.3-2.7 oz / sq foot

Recommended power system: Wes-Technik 5-2.4 Motor & 8:1 drive system w/ Wes-Technik 23/12cm Carbon fiber prop.
Recommended receiver: Sky Hooks & Rigging RX72-HYB receiver with built in ESC/BEC
Recommended servos: 2 x Hitec HS-50 Servos
Recommended Batteries: 7 or 8 cell 50mAh NiCd pack

Installed equipment:

Power system:
hxt10A ESC
Receiver: Futaba 4channel
Servos: 2 x hxt500
Batteries: 2 cell 360mAh LiPo
Assembled weight: 5oz

This was purchased at a swap meet for $20. The frame was assembled (a good job done at it). It need skinning, electronics and final assembly.

Late April, early May 2008 I completed skinning and final assembly. I am now sourcing out the electric bits. At this point, there is no way I can afford the Wes-Technik / Sky Hooks & Rigging equipment. I think I priced that gear out at over $200! (The prop alone is $50!).

Hope to have it flying by winter 2008. (That didn't happen - see first flight and/or flight log)

Flight Log

Total time: 0 hours 21 minutes

June 14, 2009 - ~5 minutes. 3-4 flights The dreaded death spiral reappeared - I hope it is not Tx/Rx based. Landing gear is damaged. Removed motor, ESC and Rx. Am building a new fast 3 channel delta. Will move gear there.

May 21, 2009 - ~15 minutes. 4-5 flights. All on the same battery (I put the battery on the charger tonight after flying). Not sure what the turning problem was - might have been the servo block shifted (it is a pressure fit Styrofoam block that I should really secure with double sided tape). Throttle for take off is slightly higher the half and then I back down to 35-40% for cruising. The little motor has PLENTY of power. The plane is very 'floaty' and can only be flown on very calm days (evenings).

May 10, 2009 - < 1 minute - 1 flight. It really likes to turn. Left I think. I can't remember!!!! Ack. This thing is very sensitive to the wind - I dare say even more so then the Citabria... Crashed. Broke the motor mount and broke the elevator. Both have been repaired. Will have to wait until it is perfect. (To find out which way it turns)

May 9, 2009 - 1 minute - 3 flights, plus some running around on the ground. After first bit of taxiing and 2 short flights, I concluded that I needed clips to hold the control rods to the servo arms - the elevator rod kept slipping out. Motor has lots of pull, 1/2 throttle will be lots! Needs very calm winds. 3rd flight winds had picked up to 10+kph and it almost blew away on me - landing broke one of the landing gear mounts.